Friday, August 15, 2014

Art That (Doesn't) Matter!

So I had to write this, after writing my last post. Because I truly believe in art that matters and in engaging with social issues. Rape, domestic violence and abuse are issues I feel really deeply about. I do feel a need to express these through dance, in the most sensitive manner that I can. But for me it is not even a choice, it is something I just cannot ignore as an artist.

At the same time I am really disturbed by people who use these issues to sell their work, win a competition or draw attention to themselves. There is this recent trend to use strong women characters and relevant social themes to appeal to a panel of judges, to draw some tears from an audience, or to add an edge to one's work to make it stand out. It makes me sad and angry because it is insensitive, counter-intuitive and in some ways making a mockery of things that need to be dealt with utmost sensitivity.

As much as I believe in art as a tool for social change, I am extremely wary of people who use social issues to sell their product. Let's not use rape to market our dances, draw on people's emotions to win a competition. Let's stay true to ourselves, our art and the very real issues that women face today.

I was in college in India when I created a piece which a renowned dance critic said was "too depressing." It was too real. Then I created a work with a few women artists for an Indian Contemporary company I danced with, but the director was more interested in using us for mere ornamentation while the boys would represent strength. Finally, I started created independent work where I could voice my thoughts. And I was fortunate to meet Mona Khan. Even though Mona Khan Company is a Bollywood Dance company and we do a lot of mainstream Bollywood, when I spoke to her about creating certain works, she understood the importance of the message. She said everything is not for the audience, we must also feed our souls, or something like that.

So I try, I fail. I try not to judge but I fail. I try to be ok with people inserting social themes to win a competition, but really I am not ok with it. But all I can do is stay true to myself and my vision. At the same time I had to write this. Because I know what it takes to break the silence, and I greatly admire the women who do, even if means breaking in the process.

1 comment:

  1. You're not failing, Ish. Every time you put yourself out there, you're learning and growing. It's never failing.

    ReplyDelete